Working in an environment that has potential for injuries to the head, ear, nose or other such parts due to falling objects or injuries, fatal accidents due to exposure to electrical conductors etc. is not easy. The employees in such places are required to wear protective gear as each day they enter their work place, there is a chance of injury that could be fatal or cause disability.
Occupational safety is a concern and should be the topmost priority for employers too. Hard hats are the first line of defense when you work in accident prone work environments. Most of the injuries could be easily avoided if proper care is taken from the very beginning. So, wear that helmet and maintain it properly too!
Here are the top six reasons why you should wear a hard hat
1. The hat has a very rigid outer shell. This is specially built to deflect debris or other materials. The suspension system inside acts as a shock absorber and reduces the impact, hence reduces the injuries.
2. They are comfortable too. Many a times we think that it will be a hindrance in your daily work, causing discomfort. But, that’s generally not the case. These hats are very comfortable, and provide appropriate ventilation too. You’ll be surprised; they are even cooler than the baseball cap!
3. There are wide brim hats available, that provide sun protection too. Nape protectors can be additionally connected to add extra protection to the head.
4. Hard hat accessories can also be added such as goggles, face shields, hoods, hearing protection etc. These can be attached to add extra protection to the face, neck and shoulders.
5. The hats come in bright colors – generally. This makes the workers highly visible.
6. Some of the hats available are built for protection against electrical shocks. This is important in an electrical environment.
Well, safety at work is a priority. Many businesses are realizing the importance of this and it is become a mandate for every employee working in potentially injury prone environment. To sum it up, your hat should have all the following characteristics. It should resist penetration of objects and deflect them without causing injury to the head. It should also absorb the shock that is caused because of the impact. Water resistance is a highly essential quality. Well, fire resistant or slow burning is another desired quality. The things that you need to take care of are – to buy the one that is of a good quality. Make sure that you maintain it as per the guidelines provided and also make sure that you buy the one that fits just right – not too loose or to tight. Lastly, make sure that you replace it as per recommended number of years (generally every 5 years) or immediately after a blow. Even on an impact many times the damage is not noticeable, so immediate replacement is recommended.
Wearing protective head gear with appropriate hard hat accessories.
Image credit: http://goo.gl/LKGJNO